Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced the addition of the comedy Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life to their upcoming slate of Blu-ray releases in honor of the film’s 30th Anniversary. The film was directed by Python members Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam and stars the other members of Monty Python John Cleese, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, and Michael Palin. The Blu-ray edition includes a new, exclusive cast reunion and a variety of additional bonus features. Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life is currently available for pre-order online and will be available in stores everywhere beginning on October 8th.
In the early 1980’s, The Meaning of Life brought all the loyal Pythons back together, sharing writing responsibilities as they returned to their much loved sketch show format, with Terry Jones directing and John Goldstone producing. With roles ranging from The Grim Reaper to the legendary Mr. Creosote, the Python troupe first left audiences in stitches in 1983 with iconic scenes such as “The Miracle of Birth,” “Live Organ Transplants” and the outrageous “The Autumn Years.”
Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life was released in April of 1983 and grossed over $14 million at the box office.
The Blu-ray release of The Meaning of Life features a 1080p video presentation, a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track, and the following extras:
- The Meaning of Life 30th Anniversary Reunion – Sit down with the surviving members of Monty Python for a funny, enlightening trip down memory lane. 30 years after making The Meaning of Life, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin reunite for a new hour-long conversation about the last movie they made together. From the beach in Jamaica where it was written to the hilarious ideas that didn’t make the cut, the Pythons provoke laughter and thought with a wide-ranging discussion about comedy, society, the universe and the biggest mystery of all – why are fish funny? Once you hear the Python perspective on Life, you’ll never see the movie the same way again.
- Sing-Along Version: Sing Along with the Film
- 2003 Prologue by Eric Idle
- Feature Commentary with Terry Jones & Terry Gilliam
- The Snipped Bits: Seven Deleted Scenes
- The Making of The Meaning of Life
- Educational Tips to Prepare You for Life in the Real World
- Un Film de John Cleese: A Trailer for the John Cleese Version of the Film
- Song and Dance: A Featurette About Two of the Film’s Musical Numbers
- Songs Unsung: Alternate Versions of Original Songs
- Selling The Meaning of Life: In Your Face Promotional Material
- Virtual Reunion: The Pythons Together Again
- What Fish Think: Go Into the Minds of Fish
- Soundtrack for the Lonely: A Soundtrack for People Watching at Home Alone
Theatrical Trailer for Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life courtesy of The Trailer Gal[youtube id=”8yCRrwufQiA” width=”600″ height=”350″]