The Criterion Collection released Blow Out to Blu-ray on April 26, 2011. Brian De Palma directed the film starring John Travolta, Nancy Allen, and John Lithgow.
‘Blow Out’ Criterion Synopsis
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances, as a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. He enlists the help of a possible eyewitness to the crime (Carrie’s Nancy Allen), who may be in danger herself, to uncover the truth. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, Blow Out is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on moviemaking.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- Restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Brian De Palma, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach in 2010
- Interview with actor Nancy Allen from 2011
- De Palma’s 1967 feature Murder à la Mod
- Interview from 2010 with cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film
- On-set photos by photographer Louis Goldman
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Sragow and, for the Blu-ray edition, Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review
New cover by Eric Skillman