Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Neill Blomkamp‘s film Chappie (2015) onto Blu-ray this summer. The film stars Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, Sharlto Copley, and Dev Patel. In addition to the standard edition of Chappie, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will also have available for sale Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection Blu-ray set. Chappie will be available online and in stores beginning June 16, 2015.
In the film, every child comes into the world full of promise, and none more so than Chappie: he is gifted, special, a prodigy. Like any child, Chappie will come under the influence of his surroundings – some good, some bad – and he will rely on his heart and soul to find his way in the world and become his own man. But there’s one thing that makes Chappie different from anyone else: he is a robot. The first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself. His life, his story, will change the way the world looks at robots and humans forever.
Chappie was released in the United States on March 6, 2015 and has grossed over $31 million at the box office to date.
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has not released any information concerning technical specifications, but has released a list of special features that will be exclusive to the Blu-ray edition:
- Alternate Ending
- Extended Scene: “A Very Bad Man
- Eight Featurettes:
- Chappie: The Streetwise Professor” – An inside look at Chappie and casting Copley to play the robot and his performance via motion capture.
- “Arms Race: The Weapons and Robots” – Get a deeper look at the real-world firepower tech and the design of the “Scout” robots & “Moose.”
- “Bringing Chappie to Life: The Visual Effects” – The film’s VFX artists discuss the pre-production design process.
- “From Tetra Vaal to Chappie:” – An in-depth exploration of the scriptwriting process, the early concept design work and other aspects of pre-production.
- “Keep It Gangster”: – A behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating an authentic South African gangster world featuring interviews with NINJA and ¥O-LANDI VI$$ER.
- “The Reality of Robotics:” – Discover present day robotics capabilities and next generation artificial intelligence, featuring an interview with Robotics Professor Wolfgang Fink.
- Jozi: Real City and a Sci-Fi Setting” – Discover the history of the real world locations in the film and the role these setting played in the fictionalized version of Johannesburg.
- “Rogue Robot: Deconstructing the Stunts & Special Effects” – A look at the film’s high-action stunt sequences.
- “The Art of Chappie” Photo Gallery
- We Are Tetravaal” featurette (Blu-ray and DVD exclusive featurette)
Here is the theatrical trailer for Chappie, courtesy of MovieClips Trailers.