The Criterion Collection released Le cercle rouge to 4KUHD on March 15, 2022. Jean-Pierre Melville directed the film starring François Perier, Alain Delon, and Yves Montand.
‘Le cercle rouge’ Criterion Synopsis
Alain Delon plays a master thief, fresh out of prison, who crosses paths with a notorious escapee (Gian Maria Volontè) and an alcoholic ex-cop (Yves Montand). The unlikely trio plot a heist, against impossible odds, until a relentless inspector and their own pasts seal their fates. With its honorable antiheroes, coolly atmospheric cinematography, and breathtaking set pieces, Le cercle rougeis the quintessential film by Jean-Pierre Melville—the master of ambiguous, introspective crime cinema.
- New 4K restoration by STUDIOCANAL of the uncut version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
- Segments from a 1971 episode of Cinéastes de notre temps featuring director Jean-Pierre Melville
- Interviews with assistant director Bernard Stora and Rui Nogueira, author of Melville on Melville
- On-set and archival footage, featuring interviews with Melville and actors Alain Delon, Yves Montand, and André Bourvil
- PLUS: Essays by film critics Michael Sragow and Chris Fujiwara, excerpts from Melville on Melville, a 2000 interview with composer Eric Demarsan, and an appreciation by filmmaker John Woo
New cover by Art Chantry Design Co.