‘Short Cuts’ Criterion Synopsis
The work of two great American artists merges in Short Cuts, a kaleidoscopic adaptation of the stories of renowned author Raymond Carver by maverick director Robert Altman. Epic in scale yet meticulously observed, the film interweaves the stories of twenty-two characters as they struggle to find solace and meaning in contemporary Los Angeles. The extraordinary ensemble cast includes Tim Robbins, Julianne Moore, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Lemmon, and Jennifer Jason Leigh—all giving fearless performances in what is one of Altman’s most compassionate creations.
Listen to our film review.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Walt Lloyd, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate 5.1 soundtrack mix, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray, plus isolated music track
- Conversation between director Robert Altman and actor Tim Robbins from 2004
- Luck, Trust & Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country, a feature-length 1993 documentary on the making of Short Cuts
- To Write and Keep Kind, a 1992 PBS documentary on the life of author Raymond Carver
- One-hour 1983 audio interview with Carver, conducted for the American Audio Prose Library
- Original demo recordings of the film’s Doc Pomus–Mac Rebennack songs, performed by Rebennack (Dr. John)
- Deleted scenes
- A look inside the marketing of Short Cuts
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Wilmington
Cover design by Michael Boland, based on a theatrical poster