Paramount Home Entertainment has announced the addition of the summer zombie film World War Z to their upcoming slate of Blu-ray releases. The film is directed by Marc Forster and stars Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox, and David Morse. World War Z is currently available for pre-order on Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray combo packs and will be available in stores everywhere beginning on September 17th.
Based on Max Brooks’ best-selling novel “World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War,” the story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself. The book “World War Z” was inspired by “The Good War”, an oral history of World War II by Studs Terkel; and by the zombie films of director George A. Romero. Brooks used “World War Z” to comment on social issues like government ineptitude and American isolationism, while also examining themes of survivalism and uncertainty.
Both Blu-ray editions of World War Z feature the Unrated Cut in 2D, 1080p video, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround, and DVD and UltraViolet copies of the film. Only the 3D combo pack includes both the Unrated and theatrical cuts (each in 1080p with DTS-HD MA 7.1 surround); the unrated cut is presented in 2D, while the theatrical cut presented on a separate MVC-encoded disc in 3D. Extras for both releases include:
- Origins: The filmmakers discuss collaborating with renowned actor/producer Brad Pitt to create a Zombie film the likes of which have never been seen.
- Looking to Science: Explore the scientific realities of Zombie behavior in nature and learn more about Zombies in literature and film.
- WWZ Production:
- Outbreak: Go on set with Brad Pitt and director Marc Forster for a behind-the-scenes look at the film’s breathtaking first attack in Philadelphia.
- The Journey Begins: Delve deeper into Gerry’s fight for survival during the dramatic escape in South Korea.
- Behind The Wall: Explore the epic scene in Jerusalem and discover the incredible logistics of creating the elaborate stunts and crowd sequences.
- Camouflage: Experience the final confrontation between Gerry and the Zombies and discover the phenomenal scope of the film’s production.