Yojimbo (1961) Defends the Criterion Collection
Yojimbo (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
$21.56 in stock
7 used from $10.99
The Criterion Collection released Yojimbo to Blu-ray on March 23, 2010. Akira Kurosawa directed the film starring Toshirô Mifune, Eijirô Tôno, and Tatsuya Nakadai.
‘Yojimbo’ Movie Synopsis
The incomparable Toshiro Mifune stars in Akira Kurosawa’s visually stunning and darkly comic Yojimbo. To rid a terror-stricken village of corruption, wily masterless samurai Sanjuro turns a range war between two evil clans to his own advantage. Remade twice, by Sergio Leone and Walter Hill, this exhilarating genre-twister remains one of the most influential and entertaining films of all time.
Read the full summary, and listen to our film review.
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, preserving the original Perspecta simulated-stereo effects (DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
- A 45-minute documentary on the making of Yojimbo, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create, featuring Kurosawa, actor Tatsuya Nakadai, production designer Yoshiro Muraki, and longtime Kurosawa collaborator Teruyo Nogami
- Theatrical teaser and trailer
- Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Alexander Sesonske and comments from Kurosawa and his cast and crew
New cover by Lucien S. Y. Yang
Also available on Apple TV and Amazon Prime Video.
Rate the Film!
Toho Company released Yojimbo to theaters on September 13, 1961. Akira Kurosawa directed the film starring Toshirô Mifune, Eijirô Tôno, and Tatsuya Nakadai.