Fine Line Features released Short Cuts to theaters on October 3, 1993. Robert Altman directed the film starring Andie MacDowell, Julianne Moore, and Tim Robbins.
‘Short Cuts’ Criterion Summary
The work of two great American artists merges in Short Cuts, a kaleidoscopic adaptation of the stories of renowned author Raymond Carver by maverick director Robert Altman. Epic in scale yet meticulously observed, the film interweaves the stories of twenty-two characters as they struggle to find solace and meaning in contemporary Los Angeles. The extraordinary ensemble cast includes Tim Robbins, Julianne Moore, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Lemmon, and Jennifer Jason Leigh—all giving fearless performances in what is one of Altman’s most compassionate creations.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Walt Lloyd, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate 5.1 soundtrack mix, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray, plus isolated music track
- Conversation between director Robert Altman and actor Tim Robbins from 2004
- Luck, Trust & Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country, a feature-length 1993 documentary on the making of Short Cuts
- To Write and Keep Kind, a 1992 PBS documentary on the life of author Raymond Carver
- One-hour 1983 audio interview with Carver, conducted for the American Audio Prose Library
- Original demo recordings of the film’s Doc Pomus–Mac Rebennack songs, performed by Rebennack (Dr. John)
- Deleted scenes
- A look inside the marketing of Short Cuts
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Wilmington
Please let us know what you think of the film in the comments section, and rate this movie from one to five stars below as well. If there is a film you’d like us to review, send us an email at email@example.com with your name, location, and film choice. And finally, if you are of the social media persuasion, you can look the MHM Podcast Network up on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and if you do, please give us a follow when you find us.
This podcast is not endorsed by The Criterion Collection, and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. Short Cuts, all names and sounds of Short Cuts characters, and any other Short Cuts related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of The Criterion Collection or their respective trademark and/or copyright holders. The song Miami Nights is brought to you by Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. All original content of this podcast is the intellectual property of the Criterion Critics, the MHM Podcast Network, and Fuzzy Bunny Slippers Entertainment LLC unless otherwise noted.