Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) released Tarzan the Ape Man to theaters on July 24, 1981. John Derek directed the film starring Bo Derek, Richard Harris, and Miles O’Keeffe.
‘Tarzan the Ape Man’ Top 10
In honor of Bo Derek, I thought it would be best to summarize my top 10 reasons to watch Tarzan, The Apeman….
10) The number of porters used on an expedition into the African mountains looking for a mythical inland sea whose path was once scribbled on the back of a Howard Johnson’s restaurant napkin.
9) The number of times we hear Johnny’s Weissmuller Tarzan yell. That’s right, it’s Johnny Weissmuller—not Miles O’Keefe. Even the MGM lion belts out Johnny Weissmuller like he was the main course at a Crap Fest.
8) The number of crew members remaining after John Derek fired his staff for asking Bo what Dudley Moore was really like in bed.
7) The number of times Bo’s without undergarments while wearing a white dress, swimming, or breathing in the movie. Bo’s Pro tip: when on a tropical safari, pack lightly.
6) The number of times Richard Harris yells for his cannon in the film, but is only able to fire twice. Those pre-Viagra years were a bitch.
5) The total number of firearms protecting the entire expedition from unknown animal and headhunter attacks. If Indiana Jones taught me anything, it’s never take a knife to a gunfight.
4) The number of times we clearly see the headhunters, but the idiotic caravan never notices them standing right next to them. By the time they traipse through miles of jungle even Stevie Wonder is screaming that he can see them.
3) The number of elephants appearing in the entire movie until the final “stampede” of 15 which were on screen for a total of 20 seconds, even though the Dereks paid for 150 elephants to be in the movie.
2) The number of Irish wolfhounds used on the expedition because what African trip wouldn’t be complete without English Wolfhounds bouncing through the forest among the lions, tigers, apes, and big American breasts.
1) The number of big old white dudes painted to look like a black dude wrestling the beefcake Tarzan dude in front of a bunch of worthless painted up headhunter dudes who watch the Tarzan dude kill their chief dude then pointlessly watch the body painted nude hero dudette walk off to wrestle the naked Tarzan dude and his monkey in the final title sequence. I mean… Dude.read full summary
Please let us know what you think of the film in the comments section, and rate this movie from one to five stars below as well. If there is a film you’d like us to review, send us an email at email@example.com with your name, location, and film choice. And finally, if you are of the social media persuasion, you can look the MHM Podcast Network up on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and if you do, please give us a follow when you find us.
This podcast is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The song Upbeat is brought to you by Marwan Nimra at natentine.com under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License. All original content of this podcast is the intellectual property of the Number Two Review, the MHM Podcast Network, and Fuzzy Bunny Slippers Entertainment LLC unless otherwise noted.