‘Tootsie’ Criterion Summary
In Tootsie, Michael Dorsey lands the role of a lifetime—as did the actor playing him, Dustin Hoffman. This multilayered comedy from Sydney Pollack follows the elaborate deception of a down-on-his-luck New York actor who poses as a woman to get a soap opera gig; while “Dorothy Michaels” skyrockets to fame, Michael finds himself learning to be a better man. Given support by a stellar cast that includes Dabney Coleman, Charles Durning, Teri Garr, George Gaynes, Bill Murray, and, in a breakthrough performance, Jessica Lange, Tootsie is a funny, cutting, and poignant film from an American moment defined by shifting social and sexual identities.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring director Sydney Pollack
- New interviews with actor Dustin Hoffman and comedy writer Phil Rosenthal
- Interview with Dorothy Michaels by film critic Gene Shalit
- Making of “Tootsie” (1982) and A Better Man: The Making of “Tootsie” (2007), two documentaries featuring interviews with cast and crew
- Screen and wardrobe test footage
- Deleted scenes and trailers
- PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Sragow
New cover by Jason Hardy
Leave a Comment and Follow Us
Please let us know what you think of the film in the comments section, and rate this movie from one to five stars below as well. If there is a film you’d like us to review, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, location, and film choice. And finally, if you are of the social media persuasion, you can look the MHM Podcast Network up on Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, and if you do, please give us a follow when you find us.
This podcast is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The song Miami Nights is brought to you by Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. All original content of this podcast is the intellectual property of the Criterion Critics, the MHM Podcast Network, and Fuzzy Bunny Slippers Entertainment LLC unless otherwise noted.